Saturday, February 22, 2014

The Colbert Report: Daft Punk'd (and related link)



When I named this blog The Daily Embed, I knew there would be days when it just wasn't going to happen.  This week, there have been three in a row.

I've been sick for about a week now, with my worst cold in years, and unable to feel inspired enough to come up with a decent embed out of all the the billions of videos on YouTube, Vimeo and whatever, but on Friday night I found a link to a fantastic music video featuring S F Bay area duo Pomplamoose, doing a mashup of Daft Punk's "Get Lucky" and...

(...something else. I'm not going to pretend to know what's happening in music these days.  It's not just that I'm older than the music biz's demographic.  It's also that I've been on the internet for ten years, following my nose, and my nose is pretty random.   So I've been more aware of Rebecca Black's Friday than Kanye West's Stronger, or anything else by Kanye West ever did other than butt in on Taylor Swift at the VMAs.  Here's what I think, and when you get to know me, you can disagree if youlike:  What I lack in knowledge, I make up in taste.   Or not.  Warning:  I love Rebecca Black's Friday!)

Pamplamoose, who everyone else has probably already heard of, produced this incredible music video, which has shattered my notions of video art, and made me realize that everything I've tried to do up to now is not only derivative (I already knew that) but also outmoded and two-dimensional.   I shall muddle on.



I loved this so much I must have already retweeted it four times in the past 24 hours, plus it's trending all over the place, so I wanted to use something else for the main embed.  Interesting story, huh?

So anyway, here's Stephen Colbert's amazing celebrity-overloaded video performance of Daft Punk's "Get Lucky".  Colbert did this when Deft Punk bailed on him because of contractual bullshit with MTV Colbert's a pretty good dancer, better than I would have expected, and  It's been taken down from Comedy Central's site, so this low-res version is the best I can find.  You may want to download it.  I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment